Below is the link for the fall semester theory exam review. Due to the missed classes, the exam will be shortened in material covered. The music history unit will be moved to the spring. Please consult musictheory.net for practice on the exercises listed in the review. In addition performance exams for non-honors/all-district band members will take place beginning tomorrow. Times are listed below.
Exam Review Info.
Performance Exam Scale Times
Due to the impending weather system, several events for the band have been cancelled and/or postponed.
1. All-District Band Auditions have been postponed until next Saturday at Cary HS. All audition times will remain the same. For those who have siblings at the middle school level, those auditions will now take place at Reedy Creek MS.
2. Guard camp for Saturday, has been cancelled. We are looking into possibilities for other dates this month to make this up. Stay tuned.
3. All-District help sessions for tomorrow afternoon are now cancelled. I will look at the possibilities for next week to make these up somehow.
4. Phantom of the Opera meeting (Mon. Jan. 9) – If we are not in school on Monday, this meeting will be cancelled. Strong possibility it will be moved to Wednesday night. Stay tuned.
Please take your instruments home tomorrow. With the forecast models in regards to this storm, there is a strong possibility that we will be out of school on Monday and even Tuesday, as morning temperatures could be below 10 degrees (brrr…) Be proactive, and take your instruments home (and guard equipment if applicable) as you have an extra week to get your audition material even more solid.
Quote of the Day -Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and places to pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul. – John Muir
Ab-Db Concert Scales
Chorale Sight Reading
Discussed All-District Band auditions
How should a flute sound? Listened to recording
Worked on entire selection
Quote of the Day -Good heavens, of what uncostly material is our earthly happiness composed…if we only knew it. What incomes have we not had from a flower, and how unfailing are the dividends of the seasons. – James Russell Lowell
Progress Reports Issued – New grading categories for this year.
Rehearsal Skills (Old Daily Performance)- 35%; Major Assessments (Projects, Tests, Performances) – 35%; Minor Assessments (Scale Quizzes, Checkpoints, Rehearsals); Homework – 5%
Vocabulary Study – AB, ABA, Accent, Aria, Arpeggio, Bar, Baton, Cadence, Cadenza, Chamber Music
Ab-Db Concert Scales
Chorale Sight Reading
We are for sure going to Disney announced!
Thank you to Rose Roy for taking on the basket raffle and for sending us this information about the winners of the raffle. Here is her list of winners:
Music Basket: Nicole Newman
Apex Family Chiropractic & Wellness Center PC – Denette Jury
Activity Basket- Natalie O’Neill
A Mom’s Day Out Basket- Kendall & Leslie Haney
Dad’s Day Out Basket- D. Johnston
Pamper Basket- Susan Campbell
Fritz Othrodontics Basket- Donna Pile
Family Night Basket- Tricia Stagner
Teen Basket- Linda Kenne
Here are the descriptions for the baskets being raffled off on Friday. Each basket is worth over $200.00
Tickets sold Wednesday and Friday during HOT Lunch as well as on Friday at the Concert. You do not have to be present to win.
$2.00 for 1 ticket
$5.00 for 3 tickets
$10.00 for 7 tickets
Announcements for Day 58
Quote – Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato
On this Date – On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln boards a train for Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, to deliver a short speech at the dedicationof a cemetery of soldiers killed during the battle there on July 1 to July 3, 1863. The address Lincoln gave in Gettysburg became one of the most famous speeches in American history.
- Fruit Paper Orders are due TODAY. If you need the weekend, please let me know, but absolutely no orders will be accepted after Tuesday. Please remember to turn in the white copies and check or money order. NO CASH, NO CASH, NO CASH. I have still had a few turn in orders this week with cash. We do not accept cash. Also, PLEASE remember to put your name as the salesperson. Almost every order given to me this week, did not have this done. It’s the only way to accurately credit your account.
2. Online Sales end on Tuesday. For these you can designate your name on the order submit page. The online option is only available for out of state sales.
- Progress Reports will be distributed on Monday. The chromatic scale test will be moved to Monday as well. I will update rehearsal skills, and Powerschools will have the most up to date information.
- Those going to the Heritage game as part of the 10 member pep band, please remember your stand tunes from the containers by the stands. Game starts at 7:30. It takes approximately 1 hour to get to Heritage. Thanks for supporting the Hawks in this unofficial capacity. It would be nice for you to be there prior to the National anthem which will be around 715. Cheer loudly, Root the team on, but do not play when the ball is in play. Listen for those whistles.
- Disney payment of $100 due. Please check your invoices carefully. We have several that have not paid their marching band balance which was due a month ago. All $’s collected always goes to pay old debt first. If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Sabatelli or Mrs. Scott for more info. or questions.
- Support the theatre program this weekend if you can. James and the Giant Peach was one of my favorite books when I was growing up. If you’ve never seen a HSTC production, you are missing out. They are really good.
- Parade rehearsal is on Monday from 2:30-4. We had several miss unexcused today. Please remember to let us know if you will be out.
The online portal is up and running. This is for gift items only to be delivered to customers.
Make sure you list your child’s name so they can get credit for the sale.
Havelock Competition – The schedule for the day 🙂
It will be a long day on Saturday, especially if we are honored as one of the final eight bands to perform in the final round (23 bands in prelims). Many thanks in advance for those parent volunteers traveling with us to make our show a success.
Friday, night is a football game, and it’s middle school night. With Mr. Pittman’s approval, we will depart the game shortly after the conclusion of our halftime performance. We will load the trucks on Friday night, and students will receive their halftime paid meals from Mr. Krovetz upon departure. I do not know the exact time we will be finished on Friday, however, plan for a time between 9-9:30 PM.
Here’s the first draft of the schedule for USBands. This may change particularly with warm-up times, however, wanted to release this version so you can prepare your day.
As this is the NC USBands Regional, it is sponsored by The Cadets Drum Corps from Allentown, PA. It is a ticketed event, and tickets are $15 at the gate. I realize this show is an hour and a half from Holly Springs, however, we certainly encourage as many of you to attend and cheer us on. Believe me, when I say this, your presence at the Fuquay show helped us immensely. It was so wonderful to take the field to cheers. Kids felt they were important, and they fed off that in their performance. We have been given a block of 100 tickets. If you’d like to purchase a ticket ahead of time (Parent Volunteers will not need a ticket), I have them for $5.00! Please let me know PRIOR to Saturday if you would like one. Please make checks out to HSHS Band Boosters. Do not forget your friends and family that may live in the Kernersville area who are coming to the show. Save $10 by purchasing your tickets early!
This is a BIG show. As we continue to grow our program, the staff and I are always looking for more opportunities to perform among the best. This show features at least two bands that have attended National Championships in the past.
Looking forward to another Great Day with the GOLDEN HAWKS REGIMENT!!
Quote of the Day –
Long Tones – F, Eb Concert
Practice Ab Concert Scale
I Recommend – p. 5, Sleepers Awake
And the Angels Called – mm 109-144
Solo v.s. Ensemble playing
Define – Role, Style, Note Length, Voulume
Inside due to the Weather
Quote of the Day –
Db Concert Scale Test
Worked on portions of production