Several documents related to registration for the 2014-2015 Band Program have been uploaded to the concerts ensembles page and the golden hawks regiment page.
All students in 9th-11th grade will receive information in their 3rd block classes in regards to all courses being offered. Auditions for our concert ensembles begin on Monday, April 7, and are scheduled to be completed by Thursday, April 10. Students will audition during their class periods. Any student currently not in a concert ensemble and wish to be considered for placement next year will need to schedule an audition with the director ASAP. These most likely will take place during lunch on Thursday or Friday. All members must be in a concert ensemble in order to perform in the marching band. The only exception to this rule is for non-instrumentalists in the guard.
Auditions will consist of two major scales (from the required twelve major scales), chromatic scale, prepared solo, and sight-reading. Auditions will last five minutes each, with the exception of percussion. Percussionists will have seven minutes to complete the above on mallets, and choose between snare or timpani for an additional solo excerpt. They will also play the rudimental solo in place of sight-reading for snare. Please be prepared for your audition by filling out the attached Band Contact informational form and bringing it with you to your audition.
- Registration Letter – please read – this has all specifics related to registering for your recommended ensemble.
- Band Contact Information Form – download, fill out, and bring to your audition. Failure to bring this form, will delay your audition and possible placement in SB or WE.
- Audition Schedule – Posted prior to Spring Break. Please make sure your name is listed. Seniors audition at the end of their section for spring seatings.
- Course List and Numbers – VERY IMPORTANT!-Registration is by numbers. Several courses have different numbers this year. Sign-Up carefully!
- Block Schedule for Band – A guide to plan your entire schedule for four years. As you will see, band can be scheduled all four years.
- 2014 GHR Schedule – Schedule for 2014 marching band summer camp, and rehearsals. We will only attend 4-5 competitions, however, dates have been reserved as to when they will fall. Deadline to have deposit and form returned is Tuesday, May 20.
- General Info. – Promotional highlights, Q&A document, Why I Teach Music.
This final link is related to the drum corps show in Charlotte on Saturday, July 27. If there is significant interest to warrant a charter bus, the band will take a trip to see this event live. The best of the best will be there.
Please understand that a recommendation does not guarantee placement in the respective ensemble. Auditions and overall work ethic will determine this placement. Recommendations have been made based on growth exhibited in 2013-2014. Each recommendation has a comment attached that explains my thought process. Course conflicts/interests, and other factors can and usually do affect final placement in a ensemble.
In general, instrumentation for Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band will follow these guidelines:
Flutes – 5-6
Oboes – 1-2
Bassoons – 1-2
Clarinets – 9-12
Bass-Clarinets – 1-2
Alto Saxophones – 2
Tenor Saxophones – 1-2
Baritone Saxophones – 1
Trumpets – 6-8
Horns – 2-4
Trombones – 3-4
Euphonium – 1-2
Tubas – 2-3
String Bass – 1
Percussion – 5-7
Hopefully, this will answer all of your questions regarding registration. If you have any others, please feel free to contact me.
Please make sure you have the following important dates on your calendar:
Tuesday, April 8 – Scott Lang Leadership Workshop @ Sanderson HS 5:00-8:30 PM. About 35 students have signed up.
Tuesday, April 22 – ANNUAL BAND BOOSTER MEETING @ 7 PM – Required meeting for all parents in the band program
Friday, May 9 – Concert Band and Symphonic Band Spring Concert @ 7 PM
Tuesday, May 20 – Wind Ensemble and Jazz Band Spring Concert @ 7 PM